Friday, August 3, 2012

Things You Can’t Be Ready For.



I have so many things that I could say now. I have officially been in Japan almost a whole week but it feels like months. In an effort to keep this post short I wanted to just make a list of things you cant be ready for when in Japan.

1. The Stares.
In Tokyo it isn’t unusual to see a foreigner but, a whole heard of Gaijin, literally meaning alien, walking down the street or into a restaurant draws some serious attention. However, nothing compares to the stares that I have gotten since moving to Fukui. We had two days of Fukui orientation with all the new Fukui JETS, about 23, and a few helpful current JETS. Anytime we go anywhere together people openly stare at you. Sometimes it is funny, like when I saw a guy on his bike almost hit a pole while staring at us. Or when opening my bank account at the bank in Awara, I caught two middle aged bankers opening their office door and peering around the corner at me. Other times it’s just a little uncomfortable. For the most part it isn’t too bad, just humorous.


2. Customer Service.
People had told me that Japan was the land of customer service, but I never expected it to be quite this extreme. I have witnessed hotel workers running from across the room when they notice I am struggling with my giant bags. I know your probably thinking, “Well the Keio plaza hotel is super fancy that isn’t unusual!” No. This was at the Fukui Palace hotel, and that place was no palace (but had surprisingly excellent food.) One new UK Jet told me a story about not being able to use an ATM due to excessive kanji. The 7/11 clerk there didn’t have any English, so they told him to wait there and ran out into the street going back and forth shouting for someone with English to come and help him. After about 5 minutes, a police officer returned with the clerk and, when his English failed they both ran out into the street shouting for help. Crazy. Sometimes I feel uncomfortable letting someone help me so much.
This is the kind of service I am used to...



3. Kanji.
I don’t care how much you have studied Japanese or Kanji. IT IS EVERYWHERE. Definitely pulled out my Japanese textbook and studied. Nothing motivates you more than not being able to tell If what you are buying is chicken or pork.

4. The Beauty Of The Countryside.
We took a 9-hour bus ride from Tokyo to Fukui. It was incredible. Yes, I was exhausted, uncomfortable, and already worn out of traveling. However, the beauty of the Japanese countryside had me so thankful that I wasn’t on a plane or still in Tokyo. I didn’t sleep a wink terrified I would miss something.




5. The Internet.
You would assume that the internet is the same everywhere but it isn't. The moment I first got on the internet with a Japanese ethernet cable, every web page translated its settings automatically into Japanese. This kinda goes along with the Kanji one. Trying to figure out how to change my google accounts settings back to English is high on my list of priorities today. Also, while on youtube all my adds are in Japanese. That is actually quite fun, I hope it never changes.

I’m sure there are more, but this early in the morning I really can’t think of any. And on a totally unrelated note, one of the UK Jet's struggles with my name pronunciation and decided to just call me Arwen. I always feel infinitely cooler when he does. Who wouldn’t?

I'll try to post more stories tomorrow. Today is a full day!

No comments:

Post a Comment