Friday, August 17, 2012

Summer Matsuri

Matsuri (祭) - Festival


Since English camp ended, I have been filling my time enjoying the many summer matsuri in Fukui. So far, I have been to three. The picture above was from the Phoenix Festival in Fukui City. This festival had dancers for entertainment, carnival boothes, food vendors, and many Japanese men and women running around in Yukata (a casual summer kimono). My new South African neighbors invited me out with them to enjoy the day. I love hanging out with William, Bronwen, and Maria. They have been so kind to me since I moved here.




Japan loves English but it doesn't seem like they have figured out spell check yet.

The other two festivals that I went to were both fireworks festivals on the beaches of Fukui. The first one I went to, Mikuni Hanabi, was only 10-15 minutes from my apartment and is famous throughout the area as being one of the most incredible firework shows around. It didn't disappoint.
After reconnecting with a lot of other ALT's for a fun day on the beach, the sun set and the fireworks began. WOW.



The festival that I went to yesterday was another smaller fireworks festival in Tsuruga. It was much less crowded and took place during Obon week. This is a week in which you not only celebrate the elders in your family but also honor your deceased relatives. At this festival there was an added lantern release section that was to honor your relatives now deceased. it was lovely. Sadly I couldn't get a great picture of all the lanterns but here is what they looked like before being released!

And now for some hanabi (literally fire flower)




Afterwards there was some karaoke, I sang some red hot chili peppers and dashboard confessional. Karaoke ended pretty late. After being driven to Fukui city, I had already missed the last train home to Awara. Luckily, Crystal and Laura offered me a place on their floor and a much needed girls sleepover. Tomorrow I climb Mount Fuji. AH! I better go get all my stuff together.

There should be 2 new posts coming after this weekend! Cheers!




1 comment:

  1. Erin! I'm so glad you're doing well, I love reading your updates. Miss you and love you!

    ReplyDelete