Monday, February 11, 2013

Bucket List- COMMENTARY


6 months since I came to Japan past a few weeks ago. Its hard to believe that If I wasnt recontracting half of my time in Japan would be over. In honor of that halfway point I will re-analyze my Japan bucket list and cross some things off/edit them as needed.

JAPAN BUCKET LIST

  • 1. Climb to the summit of Mount Fuji and watch the sunrise from the top.
I would consider this accomplished. I didn't see the sunrise from the summit of mount Fuji but from about 700 meters from the top. pretty dang close. ACCOMPLISHED!
  • 2. Understand 50% of the Japanese spoken around me by the end of my year long contract. (this is ambitious... but I will do my best!) 
I haven't honestly been studying a ton of Japanese. I more just pick things up from students and coworkers. my listening ability has improved a lot, but my speaking is still very poor. This goal was way too lofty and ridiculous. I'm going to edit it to something achievable. IN PROGRESS 
  •  2. Pass the JLPT Level 5 in June and the JLPT level 4 in December! (JLPT=Japanese Language Proficiency Test)
  • 3. Go to an Onsen (Hot Spring Bath)
I live in Onsen Town. I have been to about 5-6 different Onsen now. I thoroughly enjoy it. ACCOMPLISHED!
  • 4. Learn to make sushi
I have signed up for a Japanese cooking class later this month! Look for a post about it soon! IN PROGRESS!
  • 5. Learn Calligraphy
Haven't made any attempts at this yet... Will look into it soon! IN PROGRESS
  • 6. Show artwork in a gallery in Japan.
I need to work on making art before I can start worrying about showing art! I have been to a ton of museums and seen some incredible artwork though! IN PROGRESS!
  • 7. Try Kyudo (Japanese archery)
Will look into it soon! IN PROGRESS!
  • 8. Travel to Japan's 4 major islands.
Not yet! Seems like I still have quite a bit of traveling to do! IN PROGRESS!
  • 9. Know all 800 student's names in my high school.
Not even close sadly. I probably know about 15-20 student's names. The Japanese names are difficult because I'm not accustomed to them. I also dont teach any second year students. pretty impossible to learn their names. The goal will be changed to knowing all of my students in MY classes. IN PROGRESS! 
  • 9. Know all of the students names that I teach in my own classes! 
  • 10. Join an after school club activity.
Does English Speaking Society Count? Yes? Good. ACCOMPLISHED.
  • 11. Learn to be a boss on a snowboard and/or ski's
Well, I've learned to snowboard kinda but I definitely need practice in order to call myself a boss. I'm wincing as I type this from sore muscles actually... ACCO-IN PROGRESS.
  • 12. Visit the snow monkeys!
More traveling! I think this will have to wait until next year! I wont have time this winter! IN PROGRESS!
  • 13. Start a new organization or club of some kind in my community
Nope. This will be tough, but I think its doable. Maybe next year after I can speak more Japanese (since I will pass the JLPT level 4!) IN PROGRESS!
  • 14. Wear a kimono with cowboy boots. (International exchange! Oh, that isn't what you had in mind?)
Hahaa, I got my cowboy boots shipped to me! Thats a start, right? IN PROGRESS!
  • 15. Learn to sing karaoke in Japanese.
I can sing the song if its super slow and has furigana. I dont think that counts though. IN PROGRESS! 
  • 16. Go to a Japanese musician's concert.
SUMMER FEST NEXT YEARRRRR!! I Will be there!!  IN PROGRESS!



Accomplished 3 and a half out of 16. not looking great. I better get busy! I'll post the revised list in the next post with some additional goals. There should be quite a few posts coming in the coming weeks. look for them soon!

-Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment