Monday, September 2, 2013

One year Anniversary.

Its been a whole year since I began living in Fukui. It has gone by so fast.

I still feel like a novice everyday in Japan. I don't understand about 70% of what is being said around me. I can only read about 200 Kanji (Chinese characters- there are 2000 total in fluent Japanese). I speak like a caveman. I also make countless cultural and etiquette mistakes.

This past month about 30 new ALTs arrived in Fukui and I have been involved in a lot of their new welcome events and gatherings. Working with them has been super nostalgic. I remember asking the same questions and struggling with chopsticks and soup. I remember falling in my first Gaijin trap and other unfortunate occurrences. Even though I still feel like a novice, working with the new ALTs has shown me how much I have grown.

As I start my second year here in Fukui, everything looks familiar. Students are preparing for their culture and sports festivals. I have been here and done this before. This year is different though. Instead of only observing, I’m participating; Laughing with my students, helping them build giant sculptures and paint banners.  Looking back on what I learned in the last year makes me excited for all the things I will learn this year. Here is to another year of adventures, culture, learning, and teaching. 
楽しみにしています!

No comments:

Post a Comment